Monday, August 24, 2009

So it begins...

So this is where I stop talking about writing a blog and finally start ... writing! My original intention was for this to be an all-purpose blog, about whatever I feel like writing about (be it feminism, politics, books, etc.). I think that it's mostly going to be a food blog, but with some of that other stuff mixed in. I mean, I defy categorization, so why can't my blog? Anyway, the focus on food stems from Michael Pollan's column in the New York Times ("Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch"). (In the interest of full disclosure, I've read two of his books (The Botany of Desire and The Omnivore's Dilemma), read Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation, and seen the documentaries "Super Size Me" and "Food, Inc." Clearly it was a case of preaching to the converted.) What especially stood out (for me) was this exchange between Mr. Pollan and Harry Balzer, a food-marketing researcher:

"I asked him how, in an ideal world, Americans might begin to undo the damage that the modern diet of industrially prepared food has done to our health. 'Easy. You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat anything you want -- just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself.'"

(Read for yourself here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/magazine/02cooking-t.html )

So this is my personal experiment ... is this possible? Can I really live only on things I've made? How basic do my ingredients have to be? Is it cheating if I open a can of chicken stock, instead of tossing leftover chicken bits into hot water to make it myself, or a canister of (Italian-style) bread crumbs instead of hunks of bread tossed into a food processor? How good will all this taste? Can I do this while working full time *and* taking a class (while attempting to hang on to single-girl things like going out to dinner once in a while and not letting my apartment get nasty enough to grow mold)? And finally, will this work as a diet? (I hope to have the answer to this last one sometime before that wedding I'm going to next year.)

Finally, this is only possible because I moved into an apartment with a *real* kitchen (i.e., there's an oven). My last apartment had a minifridge, 2 burners, a microwave balanced precariously on a shelf, and a toaster in the corner. My idea of home-made dinner looked something like this:


Mmmmm, rice in a bag...

Oh yea, and I'm going to attempt to make mostly *healthy* things ... I'm not going to pretend that making a cake from scratch makes it magically good for me :) Also, I don't want anything I make to wind up on here: http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/ (though I think some of the pictures are hilarious).

Thanks for reading, and feel free to leave comments/suggestions!
~Selwa

6 comments:

  1. My dietitian made a few good points to me:

    1) lean protein is your friend
    2) eat plenty of fiber (which means eating way more vegetables than you expect)
    3) eat whole grains and better carbs (like sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, whole grain bread instead of white bread)

    I added

    4) stay away from chemical ingredients, particularly refined sugars and artificial sweeteners

    When I followed my own advice, I dropped 10 pounds handily. Of course, I am in convenience mode trying not to explode from stress so I don't follow my own advice half as well as I should. Maybe I will though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ironic that Success Rice can make one feel like such a failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Highly recommend downloading the not-for-free ($19.95) version of Fitday on whatever PC that you use the most, and recording what you eat and keeping a log. Lin is training for a couple of races and she is a much more informed eater and getting her data in order!

    Fitday breaks down your daily protein, fiber, carbo totals. Also has a weight log and activity log and lots more tracking if you're into that.

    Anyway, SY, love your approach and re-forming your relationship with food. Will follow.
    I have found that cooking comes much easier for me now that I'm not working in a place that's remote from a kitchen.

    You might want to read the current (Aug 31) New Yorker article by Elizabeth Kolbert, "Green Like Me", discussing several people and their experiments in environmentalism.
    Luv, dt

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys! i DEF need to up my veggie/fruit intake, though i've started drinking milk (by itself! not just with cereal!), so that's a plus :)

    and dt, i tried sparkpeople.com (which sounds very similar), but i found that it didn't leave much room for ethnic food. does fitday handle it better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have everything if you know what you're looking for. Don't know about ethnic (such a big category), but you can customize by adding a "favorite" and manually plotting in the nutrition, calories etc rom the box. In other wds, Lin likes Bagelbites from frozen section of supermarket, so she made an entry and typed the nutrients in. Now it's in her food log library.

    It's pretty cool. Will check out sparkpeople.

    ReplyDelete
  6. two more trackers: weightwatchers has an online one. friend is losing weight. online tracker is free to weightwatcher members, I think.

    also there's supposed to be an iPhone app, Lose It! -- sounds good too. michelle slatella column in new york times today (9/24)

    ReplyDelete